Freelancing is a lifestyle. It’s about waking up in the morning and being motivated to make your own way. It is about having inspiration to do a client’s project at 1AM in the morning and getting it done. Freelancing is hard work, and to stay motivated, you need to love what you do so the passion will keep you going through the tough times. Below are a list of 10 tips – for the nomad freelancer – that I’ve gained through freelancing that have gotten me through many tough times.
- Clients are your partners, friends and ultimately your paycheck. Stay good to them.
- Charge enough for your work. Value is a perception.
- Stay on task. Stay organized. Be motivated.
- Promote yourself. Don’t forget that you are a sales person.
- Use trade when money is not available.
- Learn to say no.
- Work out of the house and cowork.
- End your day at a good stopping point. Keep it fresh by moving back and forth between projects.
- Ask for help when you need it. Get opinions. Gain alliances.
- Take vacations for your business and take vacations away from your business.